The City of Gdansk
The City of Gdansk is located in the Northern Poland at the Baltic Sea, which was founded in 997. Within a short period, after its settlement, it was the richest and most populated city in the Republic of Poland (Poland in the past). Over a very long existence, Gdansk was shaped under the influence of many different cultures, especially German, Polish and Jewish. Gdansk is the place where began the most terrible conflict in human history (World War II) and it was the beginning of the fall of Communism in Central Europe here. Currently, the population of the city is less than 500 000, together with the cities located next (Gdynia and Sopot) creates Tricity. Gdansk is primarily known from amber, where the biggest deposits are in the world (the Bay of Gdansk). There are organized here the world’s largest international trade fair of amber and amber products. Architectural monuments and cultural institutions are also a trademark of Gdansk, worth seeing. Moreover, good connections to the city (especially the air) with other European cities, attracts an increasing number of tourists every year, who wants personally experience the attractiveness of this place. During a visit to Gdansk, we have the possibility of going to the nearby cities as Sopot and Gdynia, which are connected by public transport.
Panorama of Gdansk
Gdansk Old Town ( Town Hall in the background )
View of the Crane in the background ( the tallest building on the right )
( Polish: Westerplatte )
Dluga Street runs through the main city of Gdansk. It is a function of a representative of the city. After World War ΙΙ Dluga Street was completely destroyed, then rebuilt and in 1959 trams was moving in this place. Today takes place only pedestrian traffic. It operates along the street full of restaurants, shops and it is the site of numerous art show.
( Polish: Ulica Dluga )
( Polish: Muzeum Historyczne Miasta Gdanska or Ratusz Gdanski )
This structure is located on Dluga Street. It’s Gothic-Renaissance style building that makes it the most representative from the point of view of the historical part of the city. The exact date of the creation of the Town Hall is not known. The beginnings of this construction are estimated for the period of the early Middle Ages. During World War ΙΙ this precious relic of Gdansk suffered from fire, bombs, and missiles to such an extent, that according to preliminary findings do not fit for reconstruction and had to undergo demolition. Finally, it managed to save and convert into a museum. Today Town Hall is a branch of the Gdansk History Museum.
Long Seashore is a promenade, that stretches along the Motlawa-arose from the bridges, that were in front of each of the water gate and were used for unloading. In XVΙΙΙ century the bridges were connected to each other so created the boulevard. Walking along the promenade you will come across numerous shops with amber, restaurants and a string of Gothic water gates.
( Polish: Dlugie pobrzeze )
( Polish: Zuraw Gdanski or Zuraw. Oddzial Narodowego Muzeum Morskiego )
It was built between 1442-1444. Crane was serving many different functions in the past. It was used as a defensive fortification, city gate, overloading of goods (usually beer) and function of settings sails. Today is a branch of the Central Maritime Museum.
In Amber Museum we can see the origins of amber, properties of amber. We will find out also how it is sourced, processed over time from ancient times to the present day. We will also see products of amber from Roman times, the Middle Ages but the finest products come from the time, when Gdansk was experiencing a ,,golden period” and was one of the best centers of handicrafts amber.
( Polish: Muzeum Bursztynu )
( Polish: Gora Gradowa )
Mountain Hail is a hill, which is situated 50 meters above sea level, close to the center of Gdansk. We can see the center of the city and surroundings, standing on top. A huge cross is characteristic for this place.
Once upon a time King Arthur’s Court (building behind the fountain of Neptune) was the meeting place for merchants and was the center of social life for people of Gdansk. The interior of the room is done in the Gothic style. Pomp and wealth have been linked with a number of images to create consistency. There is a possibility for people, who wish to explore the interior because it is a branch.
( Polish: Dwor Artusa )
( Polish: Plac SOLIDARNOSCI GDANSK )
Three great crosses are characteristic of this place and are a monument to the Fallen Shipyard Workers. December 1970, victims killed by the army and militia in the Polish People’s Republic. During the visit to Gdansk in 1987 ,,John Paul ΙΙ” was praying under the monument. At Solidarity Square is European Solidarity Centre, the heart of which is an exhibition tells the history of this movement.
St. Mary’s Church is a historic place on the world map. It was built between 1346-1506. It is the world’s largest Church, which has been built of brick. In the period 1572-1945 was serving as the Evangelical Church and the Catholic. It has almost entirely architecture in the Gothic style.
( Polish: Bazylika Mariacka )
( Polish: Molo Brzezno )
Pier in Brzezno is situated between pier in Sopot and the entrance to the port of Gdansk. It is 130 meters length. Standing on it, during good visibility (which is quite rare), you can see with the naked eye portion of the peninsula of Hel. The pier and the nearby surroundings are the perfect places for walking.
We can enjoy beautiful views of the surrounding Tricity from the Observation Tower in Gdansk-Oliwa.
( Polish: Pacholek )
( Polish: Park Oliwski )
Oliwa Park is a place, where you can calm down, rest in peace and regain inner balance. Park is located near Observation Tower Pacholek.
The Cathedral was built in the XΙΙΙ century by Cistercian. This is the longest Cistercian Church in the world. The length is 97,6 meters-inside, 107 meters-outside. There are placed inside sacred art styles: renaissance, baroque, classical. The organs made between 1763-1788 make awesome feeling. They are often used at concerts.
( Polish: Archikatedra Oliwska )
( Polish: Stadion Energa )
The Stadium was opened in 2011. It was created primarily for Euro 2012, which took place in Poland and Ukraine. It can accommodate up to 45 000 people. The color of the Stadium resembles the color of amber. It is multifunctional: sports facility, also it acts as a center of entertainment, recreation, and business.